Notes on Tim Ferriss’ article Some Practical Thoughts on Suicide.
- Get discovered by mom. Feel ridiculously guilty.
- Focus on body (can drop everything else). May take only a month to life feeling manageable.
- Your mind has blown things out of proportion.
- It would destroy other people.
- Zero evidence that the afterlife isn’t worse.
Tim’s Friends’ List:
- Make a non-suicide vow to someone important to you.
Daily Prevention Habits:
- Wake up hour before computer screen.
- Sit with tea and pen and paper. Write 3-5 things that make you most anxious. Hint: see your to-do list for important things you avoid. Ask for each:
– “If this were the only thing I accomplished today, would I be satisfied with my day?” – “Will moving this forward make all the other to-do’s unimportant or easier to knock off later?”
Save one block of 2-3 hours to focus on ONE of those things.
- Physically move your body outside for at least 20 minutes each day.
- Avoid blood sugar fluctuation by eating slow-carbs, fat, protein.
- At least one group dinner with at least 3 friends each week, scheduled by EOD Monday.
- Call someone each day and express gratitude. Consider a neglected contact. Short text or voice messages are acceptable.
Don’t overestimate the world and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think. – Tim Ferriss